To install Tactical Ops: Assault on Terror on modern systems try the TO:AOT 3.4 + 3.5 Fixed Pack. Its an easy download, extract and play package that includes various fixes and is pre-configured so you can play right away. After extracting the archive open the Tactical Ops Quick Join and you can either start TO 3.4 and TO 3.5 from the menu or directly join servers.
Both Downloads contain the same files
- A Fixed version of Tactical Ops: Assault On Terror patched to version 3.4 with OpenGL Renderer v3.5 and SuperTeam Keybinder v1.4. On this version you can easily join all multiplayer servers, some servers use ACE Anti Cheat and only requires you to click a few buttons ingame first joining a server.
- A Fixed version of Tactical Ops: Assault On Terror patched to version 3.5 with OpenGL Renderer from TO3.5 Patch and SuperTeam Keybinder v1.5. On this version some servers require you to install and configure the ESE Anti Cheat and ESE Renderers included in the Extra folder.
- The Tactical Ops Quick Join Tool that allows you to directly join a server from the builtin server browser or manually start either TO3.4 or TO3.5 from the menu.
Download Fixed Pack 7-Zip Edition (323 MB)
Contains TO3.4 & TO3.5 and the Quick Join Tool
Smaller high compressed version, extract with 7-Zip.
Changes made since 2017/2018 version
Updated the MarkC Mouse Fix in the Extra folder.
Removed the outdated TO-Launcher from the Extra folder.
Renamed the main folder from "Tactical Ops" to "TacticalOps".
Screenshot of the "TacticalOps" folder after extracting the download:
Screenshot of the Tactical Ops Quick Join Tool:
Extract the Zip version with Windows File Explorer/WinZip or the 7z version with 7-Zip. A perfect install directory would be something like "C:/TacticalOps" or "C:/Games/TacticalOps" and not in any User Folder like Desktop, Downloads, Documents or the Program Files Folders.
Start the Tactical Ops Quick Join and select a server you wish to join, or start either TO340 or TO350 manually with Menu -> Launch Tactical Ops 3.4 or Launch Tactical Ops 3.5. Alternatively you can manually start TO3.4 from "TO340/System/TacticalOps.exe" and TO3.5 from "TO350/System/TacticalOps.exe"
Important Settings to tweak to User Preference
Surround Sound and 3D Surround are disabled by default, tweak these to user preference in the Audio Settings. Remember to restart your game for these settings to take effect. Most Competitive Players will lower or disable View Bob and set the Music Volume to 0% and configure the brightness to for optimal visibility of enemies.
DirectInput is enabled by default for optimal mouse tracking. this however activates the ALT+TAB Crosshair and Buyscreen Bugs. To disable it go to the Mouse Settings. To get ''better'' mouse tracking without DirectInput, use the MarkC Mouse Fix, its included in the Extra folder. Check the Readme for information.
Some servers might kick you if you have the default "Player" name so change it in the options menu from inside the game.
Can't start the game or having crashes?
If you are having problems or issues with the game try this page in the Tutorials & Info section.
Fixed Server Browser + Multplayer
Since the GameSpy shutdown the Tactical Ops server browser stopped working. By using 3 alternative Master Servers they now display servers again. Also the server list only displays servers of a compatible version instead of a mixed server list.
Fixed Game Speed and Mouse Input
By default the game would run at such a high and inconsistent framerate it resulted in speed up and slow down gameplay combined with irregular mouse tracking. By limiting the game to 100fps this has been fixed, SwapInterval is set to 0 to also improve the delay of mouse input. (Perhaps some of these fixes are placebo, but they are all known fixes to fix UT99/TO Mouse input)
Fixed OpenGL Renderers
TO v3.4 has OpenGL Renderer v3.5 that works on all servers. Newer Renderers have been released but are not compatible with multiplayer servers on both versions. TO v3.5 has an older OpenGL Renderer released with the v3.5 Community Patch since that lets you join all servers except the ones that require the ESE Anti Cheat Client installed and activated. For ESE Servers in v3.5 you will need to have installed the ESE Renderers from the ESE Account Manager.
Included are SuperTeam Keybinder v1.4 for TO v3.4 and v1.5 for TO v3.5. These can be launched ingame from the main menu and is a tool that lets you bind various game commands to buttons of your choice. Very useful tool and a must have for every player.
The TO 3.5 is ESE compatible
Run the ESESetup.exe in the /Extra/ Folder for the ESE Account Manager. Once you have a ESE account and the keyfile placed into the TO350/System folder, have installed the ESE Client and the Renderers from the Account Manager you should be able to join all TO v3.5 ESE Servers. Just make sure you select the TO350/System/TacticalOps.exe and not the Tactical Ops Quick Join.exe as the install location.
Changes made to TO 3.4 & TO 3.5
- Deleted Outdated Video Renderers (Direct3D, Glide and Metal)
- Deleted Outdated old Audio Renderer (SGL)
- TacticalOps.ini cleaned from data of removed Audio and Video Renderers (Direct3D, Glide and Metal, SGL, XDriver, GenericAudioSubSystem)
- Deleted Unused files from original installer (Setup.exe, Setup.int and Manifest.cfg)
- Deleted Unused Language Files in System Folder (*.det, *.est, *.frt and *.itt)
- Deleted Unused Server files (/Web/ and System/TacticalOpsWinServer.bat and UCC.exe)
- Fixed Server Browser (TacticalOps.ini, TOSystem.int and UBrowser.int)
- Merged Sub folders from /TacticalOps/ with the main folders
- Set to use the OpenGL Renderer by default
- Set FrameLimit to 100, Set SwapInterval to 0
- Set Anisotropic Filtering to 16x by default
- Set Default Resolution to 1024x768 32bits
- Set the Audio Latency to 60 to prevent cracking sound
- Disabled Mouse Smoothing
- Enabled DirectInput
- Brightness @ 50%
- Audio, Music and Announcer Volume @ 50%
- View Bobbing 50% (10% lower as default)
- Disabled Auto Weapon Reload
- Cleaned up TacticalOps.ini and User.ini
- Copied over TacticalOps.ini to Default.ini and User.ini to DefUser.ini
Changes made to TO 3.4
- OpenGL Renderer v3.5 (Latest one compatible with TO3.4 TOST)
- SuperTeam KeyBinder v1.4 (Made for TO3.4)
Changes made to TO 3.5
- OpenGL Renderer from TO 3.5 Patch (Some servers with no ESE kick for OpenGL Renderer v3.5)
- SuperTeam KeyBinder v1.5 (Made for TO3.5 with compatilbilty for TO3.4)
Changed_or_Removed_Files.zip - Added as backup
Included in the Extra folder is a Changed_or_Removed_Files.zip that includes all deleted or altered files. You can use it in 3 ways.
- Manually select and copy over files you want.
- Make a 100% Untouched and Default TO install: Copy over both TO340 and TO350 from Changed_or_Removed_Files.zip over /Tactical Ops/ to make it a 100% Default and Original TO Install (For this method i advice to delete both TacticalOps.ini and User.ini in TO340/System and TO350/System after copying so it uses Default.ini and DefUser.ini)
- Make a Clean and Default TO install with fixes without cleaned files: Copy over both TO340 and TO350 folder from TO-AOT-v340-v350 and paste them over the TO340 and TO350 folders from the Changed_or_Removed_Files.zip then use those files as your TO Install.