To install Tactical Ops: Assault on Terror on modern systems try the TO:AOT 3.4 + 3.5 Fixed Pack. Its an easy download, extract and play package that includes various fixes and is pre-configured so you can play right away. After extracting the archive open the Tactical Ops Quick Join and you can either start TO 3.4 and TO 3.5 from the menu or directly join servers.
Both downloads contain the same files: TO 3.4, TO 3.5 and TO Quick Join in a 1,25GB folder.
* Last update was on 06/2018. Changes: Removed the outdated TO-Launcher from the Extra folder and renamed the main folder from “Tactical Ops” to “TacticalOps”.
Installation and Starting
Extract the Zip version with Windows File Explorer/WinZip, or the 7z version with 7-Zip. Both versions extract to a 1,25GB “TacticalOps” folder. A perfect install directory would be something like “C:/TacticalOps” or “C:/Games/TacticalOps”.
Start the Tactical Ops Quick Join and select a server you wish to join, or start either TO340 or TO350 manually with Menu > Launch Tactical Ops 3.4 or Launch Tactical Ops 3.5. When using W7/W8 you need the Microsoft .NET Framework v4 installed for the TO Quick Join Tool. Keep attention to that joining most TO 3.5 servers will require you to have ESE installed and configured properly.
Alternatively you can manually start TO3.4 from “TO340/System/TacticalOps.exe” and TO3.5 from “TO350/System/TacticalOps.exe”
Important Settings to tweak to User Preference
Surround Sound and 3D Surround are disabled by default, tweak these to user preference in the Audio Settings. Most Competitive Players will lower or disable View Bob and set the Music Volume to 0%. Also higher the brightness to increase visibility of enemies.
DirectInput is enabled by default for optimal mouse tracking. this however activates the ALT+TAB Crosshair and Buyscreen Bugs. To disable it go to the Mouse Settings. To get ”better” mouse tracking without DirectInput, use the MarkC Mouse Fix, its included in the Extra folder. Check the Readme for information.
Intel HD Graphics and TO
On some computers with Intel HD Graphics you might get a black screen when trying to start TO. This might depend on the model number and graphics driver used. It could help searching for a updated driver on Intel’s website or your motherboard manufacturer.
A work around is pressing F12 on startup to minimize TO, then you can make it full screen again and play the game. This has to be done every time on startup or set StartupFullscreen to False in “TacticalOps.ini”
Fixed Server Browser + Multplayer
Since the GameSpy shutdown the Tactical Ops server browser stopped working. By using 3 alternative Master Servers they now display servers again. Also the server list only displays servers of a compatible version instead of a mixed server list.
Fixed Game Speed and Mouse Input
By default the game would run at such a high and inconsistent framerate it resulted in speed up and slow down gameplay combined with irregular mouse tracking. By limiting the game to 100fps this has been fixed, SwapInterval is set to 0 to also improve the delay of the mouse. (Perhaps some of these fixes are placebo, but they are all known fixes to fix UT99/TO Mouse input)
Fixed OpenGL Renderers
TO v3.4 has OpenGL Renderer v3.5 that works on all servers. Newer Renderers have been released but are not compatible with multiplayer servers on both versions. TO v3.5 has an older OpenGL Renderer released with the v3.5 Community Patch since that lets you join all servers except the ones that require the ESE Anti Cheat Client installed and activated. For ESE Servers in v3.5 you will need to have installed the ESE Renderers from the ESE Account Manager.
Included are SuperTeam Keybinder v1.4 for TO v3.4 and v1.5 for TO v3.5. These can be launched ingame from the main menu and is a tool that lets you bind various game commands to buttons of your choice. Very useful tool and a must have for every player.
The TO 3.5 is ESE compatible
Run the ESESetup.exe in the /Extra/ Folder for the ESE Account Manager. Once you have a ESE account and the keyfile placed into the TO350/System folder, have installed the ESE Client and the Renderers from the Account Manager you should be able to join all TO v3.5 ESE Servers. Just make sure you select the TO350/System/TacticalOps.exe and not the Tactical Ops Quick Join.exe as the install location.
Changes made to TO 3.4 & TO 3.5
– Deleted Outdated Video Renderers (Direct3D, Glide and Metal)
– Deleted Outdated old Audio Renderer (SGL)
– TacticalOps.ini cleaned from data of removed Audio and Video Renderers (Direct3D, Glide and Metal, SGL, XDriver, GenericAudioSubSystem)
– Deleted Unused files from original installer (Setup.exe, Setup.int and Manifest.cfg)
– Deleted Unused Language Files in System Folder (*.det, *.est, *.frt and *.itt)
– Deleted Unused Server files (/Web/ and System/TacticalOpsWinServer.bat and UCC.exe)
– Fixed Server Browser (TacticalOps.ini, TOSystem.int and UBrowser.int)
– Merged Sub folders from /TacticalOps/ with the main folders.
– Set FrameLimit to 100, Set SwapInterval to 0
– Set Anisotropic Filtering to 16x by default
– Set Default Resolution to 1024×768 32bits
– Disabled Mouse Smoothing
– Enabled DirectInput
– Brightness @ 50%
– Audio, Music and Announcer Volume @ 50%
– View Bobbing 50% (10% lower as default)
– Disabled Auto Weapon Reload
– Copied over TacticalOps.ini to Default.ini and User.ini to DefUser.ini
Changes made to TO 3.4
– OpenGL Renderer v3.5
– SuperTeam KeyBinder v1.4 TO3.4 Edition
Changes made to TO 3.5
– OpenGL Renderer from TO 3.5 Patch
– SuperTeam KeyBinder v1.5 TO3.4+3.5 Edition
Changed_or_Removed_Files.zip – Added as backup
Included in the Extra folder is a Changed_or_Removed_Files.zip that includes all deleted or altered files.